This week is an important celebration day for the good of the environment. Today is National ENERGY STAR® Day, which is a day for individuals, organizations and ENERGY STAR partners to celebrate everything we have accomplished together to Brighten a Life through saving energy and protecting the planet from climate change.
ENGIE Insight (formerly Ecova) is a proud partner of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR program and has been awarded ENERGY STAR’s Partner of the Year for the past 12 years. ENGIE Insight supports ENERGY STAR in several ways, including:
- Helping buildings and plants automate the process for uploading data to the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager; in fact we currently help our clients benchmark energy use for more than 58,000 buildings each month.
- Implementing energy efficiency programs for more than a dozen utilities across the U.S. to encourage consumers to replace inefficient lighting and appliances in their homes with more energy-efficient ENERGY STAR products.
- ENGIE Insight is an elite member of the ENERGY STAR certification nation and certified more than 300 buildings for our clients in 2015.
- Working with ENERGY STAR behind the scenes, providing input and feedback on new ratings algorithms that ENERGY STAR is developing.
- Participating in the ENERGY STAR training group so we can better train our clients on benchmarking.
With the growing demand for smarter energy consumption and increased awareness of energy efficiency, having the ability to identify your building’s performance is more important than ever. The ENERGY STAR certification program puts a “gold star”—or more literally, a blue square—on your building to tell your employees, tenants, customers and stakeholders that you have a commitment to reducing energy use and related greenhouse gas emissions.
Most building types are eligible to receive a 1-100 ENERGY STAR score in Portfolio Manager, which compares a building’s energy performance to its peer group of buildings in the national database. For example, a building receiving a 90 is more efficient than 90 percent of comparable buildings across the United States. Buildings scoring a 75 or above (in other words, buildings performing in the top 25 percent of comparable buildings) become eligible to receive the ENERGY STAR certification.
Of course, not everyone can just claim an energy efficient building, and this is where ENGIE Insight helps. With the actual, measured data that we collect from utility bills, we are able to swiftly and accurately upload energy use data for all fuel types for all of our clients’ buildings into Portfolio Manager. The data reported to Portfolio Manager can also be submitted to the respective municipality for compliance with local emissions regulations.
If your company or you personally are working to Brighten a Life by saving energy with ENERGY STAR, we applaud your efforts and hope you will join us in celebrating ENERGY STAR Day! Reinforce your commitment to the planet by signing the ENERGY STAR Pledge here.