ENGIE Insight was hired by The Coca-Cola Company to assist The Holland, Inc. in making Burgerville an industry leader in sustainable business practices. The objectives of the initiative were to benchmark water and energy consumption for 39 Burgerville restaurants, and develop innovative solutions for reducing water and energy consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across the company.
ENGIE Insight created a resource consumption baseline, completed on-site audits, and conducted management interviews to gain an in-depth understanding of operational standards that impact water, energy, and GHG emissions management at Burgerville restaurants.
After completing an analysis of Burgerville restaurant operations and evaluating their environmental impacts, ENGIE Insight presented The Holland, Inc. with a list of solutions that, when implemented, will achieve the following results annually:
- Save 1,382,686 kilowatt hours of electricity
- Save 40,646 therms of natural gas
- Save 7,221 cubic feet of water
- Avoid 636 metric tons of GHG emissions
- Save $160,501 in utility bills
ENGIE Insight used guidelines established by the Environmental Protection Agency to translate the annual emissions reductions achieved through the project’s energy conservation solutions into more concrete examples. The annual reductions in Burgerville’s carbon footprint are equivalent to:
- Removing 249 passenger vehicles
- Saving 154,029 gallons of gasoline
- Saving enough electricity to power 180 homes for one year
- Sequestering carbon from 34,795 tree seedlings grown for 10 yeears
- Avoiding GHG emissions by recycling 468 tons of waste instead of sending it to the landfill
The solutions developed by ENGIE Insight will realize additional indirect benefits, including heightened employee awareness and involvement, better air quality, and an enhanced sustainability story to communicate to customers.
ENGIE Insight developed solutions for increasing energy and water efficiency across Burgerville restaurants based on our knowledge of industry specific best practices, and the in-depth understanding of resource utilization garnered during the onsite visits.
Solutions were evaluated using both financial and environmental metrics, including internal rate of return, simple payback, annual GHG emissions reduction, and annual water, electricity and natural gas savings. All recommended solutions will realize a positive return on investment within seven years.
In the process of evaluating and prioritizing projects, ENGIE Insight detailed the financial cost and anticipated savings resulting from implementing each solution, as well as their anticipated environmental benefit and operational impact.
Solutions included improvements in the following areas:
- Energy management control systems
- Onsite renewable energy development
- Landscaping improvements
- Appliance upgrades
- Employee education and awareness programs
- External stakeholder engagement